Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Emmett hits the right tone‏

R. Emmett Tyrrell says in a much better way part of what I was going for in my "2 our of 3 ain't bad" post.
Yet beyond my little play on words, I, a Reagan conservative through and through, join with so many of my fellow Americans in taking pride in this election. Old Europe has disdained this country for years as racially prejudiced, though for years some of our most beloved popular figures have been African-Americans. At this point we have had black generals in our military, black members of our presidential Cabinets, black Supreme Court justices, black political leaders throughout the states, and black CEOs all over the lot. No European nation has shown such tolerance to color, ethnic origins, or religious and political disagreement. Spare us your canards about racial prejudice in the Great Republic, and may I remind our European critics that 2009, the year in which Mr. Obama will be inaugurated to the presidency, is the 200th anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln, the Great Emancipator.
Read it all. It will put you in a good mood - until you read about President Elect Obama's appointments.

No comments: